"Paint What You Love"

"Paint What You Love"
"Paint What You Love", by R.J. Ball, Pastel on velour

Sep 24, 2011

An Early Learning Time

Today, I am posting two of my earlier paintings(early 80’s).  The one shown above, I will title “Geese Flying”(I never titled it, and I hope they are geese).  It is now, wrapped, under the bed, or in my “archive” box, in my studio(a.k.a.-garage).  When I looked at the photo, I asked myself--why did I paint this?!!  I then answered--o.k., why did you paint it?  When looking back at old paintings, especially the ones we’re not so crazy about, I think we should ask that question, and here is my reasoning.....I liked the bright color of the sky, and the contrast of the geese.  It came to my attention that I still like those attributes in the paintings I do at this time in my journey.  That is becoming a part of my style, and I was not even aware of it early on.
Here’s a quote from an art book I’ve been reading:  “....., an artist remains a student throughout his life and is always changing his masters and changing his methods.”  W. Frank Calderon, Animal Painting and Anatomy.


This second painting was copied from a booklet on orchids.  My answer as to why----I love flowers.  We sure can see there was a lot to learn about tones, shading, etc., etc..  I was so proud of this one, at the time, and gave it to my mom.  It is still hanging in her home.  Makes me feel like an elementary school kid, with the pictures taped to the refrigerator.  I have to say--my mother has been my most avid supporter of my art work, and when I did ceramics.  After her comes my brother, sister, cousins, and friends--they have been and are wonderful supporters.  THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment