"Paint What You Love"

"Paint What You Love"
"Paint What You Love", by R.J. Ball, Pastel on velour

Oct 28, 2017

"I Love Ya, Bro."

Also known as Creed.


Pastel, 10"x8"

This past summer, my niece, Brooke, showed me some photos of a boxer dog she absolutely adores--Creed.  His owner is a friend of her and Clay.  This was one of those "I have to paint this dog".  The look on his face was so enticing and I loved this coloring.  He is a Fawn Boxer dog.  Brooke contacted Creed's owner, who sent me more pics and gave me permission to paint him.

The one photo that had the look I wanted was not good for referance (too dark in background, and the light source washed out his coloring).  However, the other photos gave me good referance on coloring, and I did my usual research on getting to know my subject matter better.  I am finding out that by researching about my subjects involves me more with my paintings.  I hope I get to meet Creed some day.  He was a joy to paint!

Enjoy!!

Here are some work in progress shots.

Transferred my design and started working on the darks. 
Started on his eyes and lighter colors.
Working on lighter and medium colors to get my form.
Playing with background.
 Finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment