"Paint What You Love"

"Paint What You Love"
"Paint What You Love", by R.J. Ball, Pastel on velour

Jun 30, 2014

"And God Provides"

I didn't even have to think on a title for this one--it just came to me.  The butterfly is a symbol of new life in Christ, and God provides for us (all creatures), abundantly.  Just look at all that lantana.  The butterfly is definitely having a good meal.

I used several photo references(all I took), and also used my creativeness, changing leaves and adding lantana, and coming up with my own background.

reference photo

reference photo

This painting is quite different from my "Worn Traveler", posted May 19, 2012.  I wanted it higher keyed, lighter.  I have an app on my iPad that I use more and more.  It is called ValueViewer.  As I come to certain stages in the painting, I take a pic with my iPhone, it goes to my iPad via Photo Stream.  I import it into ValueViewer where I can see my grays, Notan or levels of black, white and grays.  I love it!!  There is, also, the red acetate that helps me see the values.  I haven't automatically learned how to see or remember how each color is on the value scale.  I still see light green as a light value, but it is still darker than even some darker yellows.

 levels
 Notan

 grays

This is where I decided to stop--I kept pickin on it--so easy to do.  When I cut the mats, I messed up and reversed the dimensions, so will have to recut.  Guess what--I will be doing another different butterfly painting, to use the first mats cut.  Maybe it wasn't an accident?!

Enjoy!


"And God Provides", Pastel, 8" x 10"



1 comment:

  1. What a lovely painting, Rita. Thank you for the tip on the app. That is cool. I am going to try that. Love the painting at the top "Paint What You Love". Great piece.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete