"Paint What You Love"

"Paint What You Love"
"Paint What You Love", by R.J. Ball, Pastel on velour

Oct 22, 2011

Back in Texas

I have returned to Texas(Weatherford area)...still enthused with the art world.  However, a change of events lead me down another art path.  My husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and after he passed away I pursued my finishedware ceramics because it didn't require a lot of thinking or creative effort, at least what I chose to do.  I picked projects that had instructions on what color to use and step-by-step.  Still reading art magazines, but upon reading all the credentials, i.e.-this degree and that degree, I thought to myself I would never get that good because of lack of education.  I now see that as a very wrong thought and wish I had that time span back--but hind sight is always there.  I did the craft malls and shows with my ceramics and that was good therapy.  When my next adventure moved me to the Canyon Lake area, the craft malls were fading out, and I had joined the local Canyon Lake Art Guild.  Such a great group of ladies(and some gents)!  Seeing all their art work and hearing about classes available--I wanted to be a part of that.  I wanted to be more creative--my ideas, my expressions of my ideas, etc., etc.!!!  But where do I start?  Just somewhere--anywhere.  I was on my Art Journey, again, and it hasn't stopped.  So much time to make up.  How exciting!  I feel like I will be learning for the rest of my life(good for the brain).  The order in which I did painting is a little unsure, but I have come up with a few photos(of older paintings) and the paintings themselves.  I have just decided not to show all--boring!!  But while browsing through some of my earlier attempts, I did notice that there are some I can still improve.  That is what we are suppose to do from time to time.  Some are lost causes, but still good teaching aids.  I can really see what I hadn't learned and improve it based on what I know, as of now.  How about if I post a before and after, and any suggestions are welcomed.  Let me know what you would do.  Today, I will post one "before", work on it, and then post the "after", but probably at a later date, in between other posts.
 
"Primrose", Oil, 5" x 7"

Just working on this post today has really gotten me spurred on.  Besides seeing how I can improve this painting(definitely better cropping and more shading, contrast, and the list goes on...), I know I want to do more flowers, and maybe even in oils, and small sizes.  Can you see how just doing "something" in art can motivate you with ideas--it is amazing how those creative juices start flowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment